Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Make your own scratch off squares!!!

Inspired by Pinterest!
Last year, as captain for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life, we received some scratch off cards that encouraged people to donate $1.00, $5.00, or $10.00.  You would approach someone and ask them if they would be willing to donate up to $10.00.
Then, you allowed them to pick a square to scratch off and their donation was revealed!!!
Once you had all the squares scratched off, you would have raised $100.00!
How awesome it that?
I'm just sorry I didn't take a picture of the scratch off card, but I searched the internet and found this picture.  The scratch off cards looked like this:

Such a simple way to raise money because sometimes it's hard to ask people for money even it is for a good cause.

So, after seeing this on Pinterest, I decided to duplicate this scratch off card for this year's Relay for Life. (for more details, click on my Relay for Life website to donate or join my team)

First, I had to use my algebra skills and figure out how many squares to have so that it added up to $100. Phew! It took a while but I figured out that I needed 4 ($10), 10 ($5) and 10 ($1) and since I started with 25 squares, that left one square that I could put, "Your choice."
Here is what I created with Microsoft Excel, and I adhered it to a piece of chipboard I saved from a tablet of paper I finished using.  You can use cardboard, a cereal box, etc.
 Then, I cut out a piece of clear Contact Paper, a couple of inches larger than the paper.
 I peeled the contact paper off of the paper backing and laid it down on a surface, sticky side up.
Then, I placed the paper on the chipboard, face down on the sticky Contact Paper.
Then, I cut off the corners of the Contact Paper.
 Next, I folded in the sides until all four sides are covered and smooth.
 All you need is some silver acrylic paint and some Dawn dishwashing liquid.
 Mix 1 part Dawn and 2 parts silver acrylic paint.

Using a foam brush,  paint over the money choices, and let dry. 
 Once it is dry, try to scratch it off to reveal the donation amount.
Please click on my Relay for Life website to DONATE or JOIN my team.

What do you think?
Thanks for checking in!
Sharon

1 comment:

  1. I totally love,thank you so much for this post! exactly what i was looking for.

    ReplyDelete